Friday, October 22, 2010

The Violent Sun, Billiards Music, and Tree Hut Kings



Sure these bands aren't metal, but even metal heads need a break sometimes. These three bands should definitely get checked out by everyone and are worth mentioning- even on a metal blog.

The Violent Sun is new on the scene. They announced that it was their second show, but they way they played would make you think otherwise. With a keyboardist, stand up bass, and a drum set, this band packs quite a punch with their unique sound. The bass was shaking the floor like thunder and the keys were the crack of lightning on top. the drums provided a nice dimension to the sound- when he was on top of his game at least. The singing is something you have to get used to. It's not bad, but it takes a while for you to get that it does blend with the style and music. The Violent Sun had smooth transitions from slower Decemberists meets James Blunt with some post-punk sound, to the faster groove rock.

They played a slow song, which is how they introduced it, and it was mesmerizing. I felt like I wanted to meditate, to just look back on my life and start judging my decisions and where they got me. With not a lot of singing during this song, you could really tell how talented all these musicians were. Then they played their "dance" song, and it definitely makes you want to move. With a good beat and a sort of Latin sound, but not quite as cheesy as Enrique Inglesias (I spelled this right on my first try and I'm not sure I know how to feel about it).

Next up was Billiards Music, and even though I've seen them multiple times, I still love every show. Personally, it was exactly what I needed after having a really rough week. Their chill stoner sound, Sublime meets Incubus vocals, and overall energy and performance made me forget about everything that has been clogging my mind and stressing me out, and just enjoy. Compared to some of their other shows, and most local shows I attend, there were quite a lot of people there, which allowed the energy escalate throughout the set, with the crowd singing along to almost every song.

Billiards' song "Feelin it' seems to be the crowd's favorite, I know it's mine. With a simple melody and heart felt lyrics, it's the perfect summer song and it's great to jam to any time you're in the car. They seemed to play a pretty long set, which is nice, and they ended it with my other favorite song, "But'er face." This song, well it's not really a full song, is hilarious. Everyone has seen someone that they have deemed a but'er face, but to hear a band turn it into a catchy tune makes it even better. "Someone should say/ you don't look too good," It's perfect.

Tree Hut Kings was up next, and will be playing every third Thursday (I believe) at the Loft. They were amazing. I had never seen them before, but they definitely earn to be a regular somewhere. Cody, conga player from Billiards, joined them for a few songs- and I was kind of upset when I learned that he wasn't part of it, or that they didn't have congas because it sounded really good. The bass player and drummer from Violent Sun were also a part of this jazz meets ska meets chill rock meets... all in all they are very eclectic in their sound and you can find many influences in their songs and lyrics that really blend nicely together.

The singer has this soulful voice and mixed with the old groove rock meets jazz sound, it could be played in so many different places,which would make Santana pleased (one of their influences). During their song "I want you so bad,"(might not be official name but that's how I'll remember it) the keys busted out a trumpet, adding to that ska-ish sound. And throughout the set they had someone playing an electronic clarinet, which is something I've never seen let alone in a band performing. All in all, check this band out because they're quite original and I don't think you'll be disappointed, it doesn't have to turn into your favorite, but it's nice to broaden your interests and influences.

As always, Check out and help support your local scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment