Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Metal Girls

Why don't girls who like metal get credit? Why don't we get the same respect in a pit that guys do? And why do guys always think they have to protect us?

As a girl who goes to a lot of metal and has participated in some great pits, I still feel that I'm not given credit. Sure, there are always guys who are like "check that chick out" or girls, if I'm with a friend, but most instantaneously snap into protector mode. I came to the concert, I know the music, I know what happens at shows, and above all, I put myself in this pit- I do not need protection.

A local band, Chemical Crutch, has a song entitled "Catfight" that is all about "the chicks who can mix shit up in the pit," and that was the first time I felt respect. This song gave props to all the girls who do what I do, take the same beatings that I do, and like the same music that I do. This song became an instant favorite of mine, not just because of what it was about, but because of the feeling it evoked from me when I heard it- which is what good music is about.

The other problems I have with the protector mode that guys snap into is that it tends to cross the creepy line fairly quickly, and most of the guys that are there i want nothing to do with. For example, The Slayer pit was amazing but these two guys kept talking about how they needed to protect me and my friend even though we told them multiple times that they did NOT. One of the guys, in particular, was like 45 years old, shirtless, and dripping sweat. My shirt and shorts were completely soaked with this old man's sweat, and he kept putting his hand on my shoulders. Okay, if you're gonna protect me from getting smashed in the pit or something, her it's chivalrous, but if you're gonna try and use it to touch me a bunch and whatnot, than don't bother.

The other problem I have with guys protecting girls in the pit is that it makes us girls seem useless, fragile, and inferior. I get that most guys wouldn't want the girl they're dating to be taking guys down in a pit- it's not the most feminine display- but that doesn't mean we can't do it. Having a guy, that i don't know usually, automatically say that he'll protect me makes me feel inferior. I feel like he doesn't think that I can take care of myself. Probably, that's not true and he's just trying to be nice. But like I said before I put myself in that situation, so trust that I know what I'm doing and can take care of myself.

Then there's the flip-side of the equation. Those girls who go, usually with their boyfriends but they might enjoy it too, and get pissed that people are pushing against them. It's a fucking pit girlie, so if you don't want to be there then get out. If I hear one more girl in a pit complain that everyone keeps pushing them or that it's too hot, or anything else that shows that they don't want to be there, I'm going to punch them. And to make matters worse, they're boyfriends perpetuate the situation. They have the girl completely wrapped up in their arms and throw elbows at anyone who comes close to knocking against her- which I've seen start multiple fights. Couples should just not get into pits unless they can stand to get separated and take care of themselves.

So to all the protector guys out there: Let us be unless we get knocked unconscious or need some other medical help. If we're in the pit, especially by ourselves, assume we want to be there, know what is going to happen, and can take care of ourselves. I'm not saying don't be chivalrous or anything, like if a guy just randomly punches us in the face maybe you can hit him back, but besides that we can handle getting pushed around, and most of us can even throw some damn good elbows.

Give the girls credit, and as always, support your local scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment